Zoe Claire

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 17, 2010

The new baby is here!

We went into Lockport Memorial Hospital on Thursday morning -April 15th- to be induced to have our baby girl. Ella went to daycare- where she loves to be and we were at the hospital about an hour late for our induction...but it was ok- its not like they could have started without me:)Labor was about 4 hours and 30 mins- only about the last hour was really really (really) bad- then we got the epidural at about 7-8 cm- it was kinda late- but it did the trick :)
Zoe Claire was born at 1pm on the dot- and with only 2 pushes! I was the first to get to hold her- I even held her before the doctor. She took her first breath and cried her first cry in my arms- It was really special and just went soooo smoothly. Just me, Joe one nurse and the nurse practitioner were there.
She is 21 inches long and weighed 7lbs and 6oz. I already took her to the doctor and she has passed her birth weight. She was a bit jaundice and I guess she is "tongue-tied" - but as long as she is eating- my doctor said there is really nothing to do about it.
So we have been home since Sunday- my mom has been here too- helping out with Ella.
Ella loves the new baby - but I think she thinks Zoe is a dolly. She has given her lots of kisses, smacked her in the head and showed me that "Zoe has eyes!" - its gonna be a fun couple of months...Zoe is going to have to be a tough little girl :)

I was in the hospital a bit extra because my epidural needle scratched by dural sac "spinal cord" and caused a cerebral spinal fluid leak. It sounds bad- but it happens to 5% of people getting epidurals.
I had a crazy debilitating headache that goes away when you lay flat- so I had to lay flat until Tuesday. The treatment is a blood patch into your spinal epidural space. What they do it take about 10cc of your blood and inject it into your spine in order to form a clot. You don't have blood in your spinal cord - so they need to inject blood in order to clot it. So thats what they did on day 3- but my spine didn't clot- so we stayed at the hospital a bit extra- had a bunch of weird neck/spine problems- but it all cleared up Tuesday afternoon.
So now- other then some back pain - I'm totally back to normal. I even worked on Wednesday- only 6 days after having the baby- I'm super proud of myself for pulling that off :) I could have never gone back to work after Ella was born- but this time seems way better.
Zoe has been really good at home- she is still up most of the night- today is her one week b-day! She almost never cries- she is more of a squeaker- Joe says she is very polite :) She is a very sweet little girl and if you haven't you totally need to meet her <3

No comments: